Reason Why Dampness Is Dangerous To Your Health

Dampness in a home is one of those things that you should never ignore. Homes with high humidity can cause health problems which can have adverse effects on people with weak immune systems. To learn more about the health concerns, first,we need to explain what is condensation. In simple terms, condensation is the process by which water vapor in the air turns cold and becomes a liquid. The water, in turn, causes dampness which results in illness. Here are some of the effects of excess moisture in your home:

Pests: Accumulation of moisture often results in rotting of window panes and many other damages. The decay is the ideal environment in which pests such as rats and cockroaches flourish. These pests can trigger allergic reactions and diseases such as typhoid and dysentery.

Mold: Mildew and molds tend to thrive ina damp area. The smell caused by this organism often makes the place unconducive to live in and inhaling the spores can cause respiratory illnesses including asthma. Allergy symptoms such as running nose, sneezing, and skin rash are some of the effects of these toxins.

Bacteria: Damp walls and floor boards are the breeding ground for bacteria. These harmful bacteria can easily cause infections for people with weak immune such as the elderly and infants. They can even accelerate existing skin problems which means that you will spend more money to treat the condition.

Dust mites: Symptom such as itchy eyes, difficulty breathing and a stuffy nose often occur to those with dust mites allergy. Since these pests thrive in wet conditions, adding a dehumidifier can help keep the air clean.

While you might be quick to jump on the easiest way to fix humidity problems in your home, eliminating the source often yields long-term solutions. Fixing the leaking issues is one of the best ways to prevent respiratory illness caused by excess moisture.

Comments are closed.